With Google’s new site speed algorithm change, website owners are going to have to make sure their webpages load fast or they may be penalised.
Google has a speed tool you can use to figure out if your website is loading too slow and it can give you insights on what you need to do to make it load faster.
The problem with this tool is that it has to be done manually which can take precious time when you have other things to do in your business.
Neil Patel is one of the most informed business leaders when it comes to what Google wants and he states that, “Google gives preferential treatment to websites that load quickly. The faster your site loads, the lower the bounce rate. If your site is fast, you have a better chance of ranking on Google over slow sites that drive high bounce rates.”
High bounce rates are what is killing local businesses. Their site loads too slow, customers aren’t willing to wait or stick around and go to the competition.
This video from Louis Reingold will help you understand what it takes to optimize your site for faster loading times.
Why Is Page Load Speed So Important?
According to Moz, one of the leader SEO companies, “Google has indicated site speed (and as a result, page speed) is one of the signals used by its algorithm to rank pages. And research has shown that Google might be specifically measuring time to first byte as when it considers page speed. In addition, a slow page speed means that search engines can crawl fewer pages using their allocated crawl budget, and this could negatively affect your indexation.”
We all know we want our customers and clients to spend more time on your websites because the longer time spent equals more money spent on our products and services that is why user experience is a very important to conversion.
A study done by Backlinko showed that average page load speed was one of the biggest determining factors in how Google ranked the top 10 websites for any keyword. Pair that with low bounce rates and you’ve got a winning combination that helps websites rank higher.
Google has stated that the average load time for most sites is over 8 seconds and some are even as high as 11 seconds which is why page load speed can make or break your site.
The top websites load at 3 seconds or less but if you want to rank higher there are things you can do to turn your website into a Mach 1 speed racer that optimizes your user’s experience and helps them WANT to spend time search around your site.
So, how can we speed up our websites and get better scores from Google?
How To Improve Your Site Speed
Most local business are at a loss how to make their pages load faster so I’m going to go over a few things you can do right now to increase speed while making your site better in the eyes of the almighty Google.
- Make Your Images Smaller – One of the best things you can do to reduce page speed is to make your images smaller. And no, I don’t mean the turning a big image into a small image. We’re talking about the file size. Reducing the file size of your images will not hurt the look of the file. They will still look great but they will load faster because they are smaller in size. It’s all about making the file size of your pages as small as possible.
- Start Using Browser Caching – If you don’t change or update your site very often, allow the cache to load your page faster. This means, it takes a “picture of your page” and loads that so it doesn’t have to continually fetch the page which takes time and resources.
- Minify The Code On Your Site – This means optimizing the code on your site. Getting rid of unused code, removing spaces, commas, and unnecessary characters, as well as using the proper formatting can save buckets of space which will help the page to load faster.
- Reduce Redirects On Your Page – The more redirects a page has, the more time it takes for the page to find and then get to that new page. If you don’t need them don’t use them.
If you understand where we are going with this it means you don’t have to load up your site with 1000’s of images or make your site have every bell and whistle. Less is better when trying to make your site load faster.
And, as we have found, the faster the site, the more Google love you will get and the more time customers will spend on your site. You want customers spending time on your site because they become buyers this way.
Keeping Your Pages Loading Fast Forever
Now that you understand what you need to do the time is now to hire someone to fix your slow site. The longer you wait the less sales you will make.
Remember, a slow website is the first impression you make on a customer so put your efforts into continually monitoring your site speed.
If you want to keep your wordpress sites running fast, here is a word of caution. Don’t use too many plugins and make sure those plugins you do have get used. Don’t leave a plugin if it isn’t doing anything for your site. The more plugins you have the slower your site will be. Try to use plugins that help your site do it’s job instead of making it pretty.
This is where a lot of business owners get sucked in. They see a shiny new object and think it’s going to make them money but most of the time (from my experience) these plugins are just too hyped and don’t really add much to your site.
Another word of caution, you should be optimizing your databases. But beware, fooling around with databases can break your site that is why you should always back up your site.
Find out what is happening on your site and stay engaged or your site will slow down over time due to bloated code, free plugins, cheap themes and bad hosting.
Remember, this is your livelihood. You need to stay on top or pay someone to mind your site or you will lose out on a boatload of sales.
Want to take your Site Speed Optimization to the next level?
We never charge for a consultation. Why not call us today to find out what we can do for you?
If you are trying to attract more clients, call us today at 1(848) 218-9677. Not only can we help you with your Site Speed Optimization, but we can also help you establish very effective Online Marketing strategies to help you grow your customer base even faster.
See what we can do for your Site Speed Optimization at https://outtasitemarketing.com/website-speed-enhancement/
Latest posts by Barry Ferguson (see all)
- The Amazing Benefits Of Using Low Budget Advertising - May 16, 2020
- Why Isn’t Your Local Business Making More Sales? - July 23, 2019
- Are You Scared Of Getting Publicity For Your Local Business? - July 21, 2019